Monday, April 13, 2009

A drop of sound in an ocean of silence



Art is the ultimate human ability. I am fascinated by the ability of certain people to create something beautiful out of nothing. I do not talk here of artists who merely reproduce an existing image. I speak of true artists who create meaning from abstraction.
Recently, I was visited by the urge to create something. My talent is sadly limited to my words. I am completely tone-deaf and my art makes me look like I have hand-eye co-ordination issues. Keeping the aforementioned in mind, I nevertheless decided to try my hand at charcoal art. The below is my contribution to the wonderful world of art.
The first one is my favourite. This one came out free and without design. The image is of a tree, but there are a bunch of people trying to ascend the tree. But on one of its branches hangs a silhouette, which looks suspiciously like a hanging man. Then of course there is the imagery of a concerned eye looking on the futile attempts of the people. I have an idea of what this represents. What do you think it shows?


The second one is also something real. I named it "Duality". And once again, I have no idea why. This again is something that came out free and without structure. The abstraction here being that of a woman torn between worlds. On one side is the comfort of the familiar - the routine that we grow into, the people who we deem are necessary, the world which we decide we cannot do without. On the other side is the unknown realm of non-conformism - the dark abyss without the safety net, the utter desolation of loneliness, the silent growth into knowing oneself truly and without boundary. Once again, I would love to hear your take on it, for I'm learning this myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment